Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Musical Fruit

Are they musical or magical?  It's an ongoing debate at our house but I maintain that beans are musical.  And since Jon thinks Rudolph will go down in history like Lincoln and that he never got to play reindeer games like football, I feel confident that I'm right.

Alyssa loves refried beans with corn tortillas and since going gluten-free, they've become a staple in her diet.  We'll often get her take-out from the local Mexican restaurant when she can't eat what the rest of us are having.  Yesterday, Jon mentioned that he was going to be working from home today since Alyssa had a dr. appointment that he wanted to attend. (I'll update on that soon.)  It's kinda a given that when he works from home, we go to my all-time favorite lunch spot, The Rock, for the pizza buffet.

In talking to Alyssa, Natalie mentioned that she really hoped we'd go to The Rock for lunch.  Alyssa replied by saying, "But I can't eat there."  So Natalie suggested, "Well you could get refarted beans from Puerto Vallarta."

Refarted beans.  Seriously.  When I heard that I laughed 'til I cried. 

And I feel that I should mention that I make every effort to avoid having bodily functions become a joke in our house.  We typically use the term "passing gas."

Refarted beans.  What a slip of the tongue that was.

I'm still laughing.

9 comments:

B.Bird said...

Made me laugh too. So cute!

Granny said...

Well...you heard me laughing! So funny, and so Natty.

Chad said...

Oh that's our Natty! Too funny!

SuburbiaMom said...

You got me laughing, too!

Jen Childers said...

So funny! That is a good one! And I'm with Jon....magical. Sorry.

Michelle said...

I actually started laughing out loud!! Kyle looked at me like there must be something wrong with me since I couldn't stop laughing. So, I then had to read it to him too! I've never understood why the song says "Beans, beans, the Magical fruit", it makes much more sense that they (refarted beans) are "Musical" LOL.

Maureen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin said...

I must admit that I have never heard it "Magical". So, I, of course, had to look it up. Wikipedia has this to say on the issue:

"Beans, Beans, The Musical Fruit" is a schoolyard saying and children's song about the capacity for beans to contribute to flatulence. The song is also variously known as "Beans, Beans, the Magical Fruit", "Beans, Beans, the Miracle Fruit", and "Beans, Beans, the Wonderful Fruit".

Either way...pretty freaking hilarious!

Amy Jones said...

For the life of me, I can't seem to remember whether I thought it was musical or magical. But, since you and I were roommates, and I don't remember you ever correcting me on that particular phrase...I'm going to assume that I was, and am with you. Musical.

(That was an ill-constructed sentence, was it not?)