Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Susceptible

Unfortunately it's become old hat. The nurse has the swab already in hand as she calls Caleb back for his appointment. Within minutes we have a positive strep culture and shortly thereafter are filling the prescription for amoxicillin.

Today's visit was the fourth of its kind in six months. That's right, four bouts of strep in exactly (to the day) six months! Yes, we always complete the round of antibiotics and yes, we always change the toothbrush. We know the drill.

Tomorrow we call the ENT to see if a tonsillectomy is in order.

11 comments:

Erin said...

I have a friend whose kids are constantly sick...until they get their tonsils out. Then they rarely get sick again. Might just do the trick!

Hope your feeling better soon, Caleb!

Lucy said...

That's crazy! Poor kid. That's a lot of time feeling miserable. I hope a more permanent solution is found soon!

Granny said...

Poor Caleb! I went through the same thing until my tonsils came out. Unfortunately I waited until I was 26 years old.

Hang in there big guy.

Ben A said...

Too bad! I got strep a lot as a kid, too and got my tonsils out in first grade. Much easier to have them out as a kid than an adult. But poor Caleb- he sees far too many doctors than a child his age should. Hope he feels better soon!

Ben and Carrie said...

Oops- that last comment was from me (Carrie) not Ben

Jen Childers said...

I've heard that strep is sort of like that...those that are susceptible just get it. Stinks for C.J.! Hope he feels better soon!

SuburbiaMom said...

That stinks.

Chad said...

Ick, get better!

Michelle said...

Being a fellow strep carrier... I feel his pain! I should have had mine out; I'd have missed a lot less school had I done it. Not to mention, I developed an immunity to amoxicillin because I had strep so often. Probably a good thing to consider doing this summer, or spring break?

Sara said...

sounds like a tonsillectomy is in store for Caleb. That stinks, but maybe it will be better in the end.

Emily said...

Poor guy! Brendan had his out when he was 5 and we haven't had problems since. hope you get it figured out.