Monday, November 30, 2009

What I'll Remember About Thanksgiving 2009

  • Mirabeau Park Hotel--The kids had a half-day of school so we only made it as far as Spokane on Wednesday. Our hotel room was adequate even if it was in desperate need of an update from its 70's decor. But with Priceline, you get what you get for your lowball offer. The hotel's best amenity was its "year-round outdoor pool." The kids were determined to get in even though the outside air was in the 30's. I wasn't brave enough try the pool but the kids had a blast! I did think the hot tub was great, though. We ended up with our own private, night-time pool party which was a good thing since Jon had to get inventive after forgetting to pack swim trunks.
  • Thanksgiving feast that I didn't have to cook--We pulled into Helena just as the rolls were being pulled from the oven. Within fifteen minutes, I was filling my plate with all the traditional fixings and I didn't lift a finger...not even to do dishes. Delish!
  • Turkey Bowl--We walked down to the park to help ease our overstuffed bellies. Caleb, Alyssa and Maureen beat us in a very short football game. Caleb would spend the rest of the weekend drawing up plays for a rematch that would never happen.
  • Planet 51--Maureen and I took the kids to the movies on Thanksgiving night. It was a cute show and a fun holiday outing.
  • Alyssa sleeping in a toddler bed--probably the only time in her life that her feet will feel the end of a bed. Who knew a nine-year-old could still fit in a toddler bed?
  • Mt. Helena--Jon and I headed out for a morning hike while the rest of the world crowded stores for their Black Friday deals. The hike was so much fun even if our legs are still sore three days later.


Almost there...

At the summit.

  • Staggering Ox--What trip to Helena would be complete without the famous Clubfoot sandwich? Jon, however, announced that my version of his favorite dish, the pizza potato, is better than the original. How nice.
  • Sales tax-free shopping--I love saving that extra couple of dollars. And I love that all the stores are so close and accessible. And I really love that I can do it all kid-free as well!
  • Breakfast--Grandpa's a veritable short-order cook and always provides us anything our hearts desire for breakfast.
  • The Carousel--Again, what would a trip to Helena be without a stop at the carousel? The kids had a great time and it was fun to see Santa riding, too.



  • Grandpa walking the kids to Hardees for lunch--So sweet to watch them walk off together all bundled against the cold. And it allowed Maureen, Jon and I to have a kid-free lunch together at Chilis. Fun stuff.
  • Pie!--So yummy! I ate some every day.
  • BYU 26, Utah 23 in OT--Such a perfect way to end a fabulous holiday. We were screaming...some of us louder than others but I'm not naming any names.

It was a fabulous holiday and worth every single "Are we there yet?" that Natalie whined along the way...both ways.

Happy Thanksgiving!

12 comments:

Camille said...

Such a fun post. Glad you guys had fun, glad you're back!

Holly said...

Sounds like a fun and relaxing weekend. Alyssa came over today and when I asked her about her weekend one of the first things she said was that Natalie kept asking "are we there yet?"... fun memories.

Shad and Krista McOmber said...

Mirabeau Park Hotel!?! Why, that is right by our apartment! How funny to think you were just right down the street from us! Sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Looking forward to seeing you in a couple weeks for my shower!

P.S. Go Cougs, awesome game. Phew!

Erin said...

Sounds delightful! Glad you guys decided to go and that it was so worth the long drive!

Chad said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip! Glad you had a great time! Go Cougs!!!!!

Jen Childers said...

Love your post. Glad you guys got to go and fit so much fun in over the weekend. Your climb looks cold, but oh so fun! I laughed out loud at Alyssa in the toddler bed...that is just too funny. That game was super exciting...would have been fun to watch it with you guys. Glad you had a Happy Thanksgiving!

Lucy said...

You know that's a crib mattress, right? Too funny.

You listed all of my favorite things about home. I'm glad it was a nice holiday for your family.

Karen said...

We enjoyed the visit and the recap. So glad you could come!

Sara said...

Sounds like you guys had a great Thanksgiving! I love reading your blog! I miss you. We need a girls retreat sometime to just sit and chat all weekend long:)

Jackie said...

How fun that you and Jon got to take a kidless hike. It looks really pretty in Helena. I'm glad you guys had a great Thanksgiving.

Stephanie said...

What a nice relaxing weekend! Glad you had a nice time. Missed ya at the Marathon though, maybe next year;)

Jenn said...

Happy to hear you guys had a great Thanksgiving holiday!