Friday, October 23, 2009

Mother's Day in the Fall

The kids didn't have school today. I looked forward to sleeping in all week. By sleeping in I mean going back to bed after my early morning run.

My feet sloshed in my shoes as I returned home from covering four miles in the pouring rain. I left my sopping clothes in the laundry room and went to my closet for some cozy sweats and slipper socks. I couldn't wait to crawl back under my down comforter. The house was silent and dark when Jon left for work and it wasn't long before I was again sleeping like a baby.

The next thing I knew, my three kids were gently rousing me from dreamland. I'd been sleeping for about an hour. The rain continued to pour and it still seemed quite dark--the perfect day for lingering in bed.

"Mom, we have something for you."

Alyssa presented me with a plate of scrambled eggs and toast with peach jam, and a glass of orange juice. I sleepily gave them hugs of gratitude and then they left me to enjoy my breakfast in bed.

Alyssa has been learning to cook new things but I didn't know scrambled eggs was in her repertoire. And they were good!

What sweet, thoughtful children I have. Not only did I get to sleep in and enjoy breakfast in bed, but they willingly helped with housework once I emerged from my room. Of course, my promise of chocolate chip cookies was good motivation to move through the list of chores.

Now it's time to get ready for a down-town Seattle theater date with my hubby. I'm feeling so spoiled and loved.

Happy 1/2 Mother's Day to me!

10 comments:

Granny said...

Good job kids! Wanna come cook breakfast for me?

Erin said...

Wow! Sounds like such a great day! I must say, I'm a bit jealous!

Amy Jones said...

Scrambled eggs? Seriously? What great kids!

AND you got to "sleep in". I'm jealous as well. :)

Sara said...

You are so spoiled! I can't believe Alyssa can make scrambled eggs. Julia learned to make jello today and was so proud of herself. I wonder what flavor jello I'll get for my Mother's Day surprise:)

Jen Childers said...

That's awesome! Jonas has been begging me to let him try making eggs on his own for breakfast. I just haven't been that brave yet. Maybe Alyssa just needs to come show him. Glad you had a fun day!

KmCaCFamilyof5 said...

How incredibly cute! I think what makes it even more special is that they did it just because! ... it wasn't your bday, or mother's day, or valentine's day. What wonderful kids you have!

Hope you had a great time at the theater! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Jenn said...

Soooo sweet!

Chad said...

Such great kids! Do you rent them out for weekends in Utah? LOL. WE would take that for any price!

Camille said...

This is so sweet. What a treat to wake up to and you really deserve it!

Lucy said...

Really sweet. My kids don't get near the stove. I'm so impressed! should I put them on kitchen duty for the family reunion?:)