Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Google Talk

When I was a kid, writing notes to friends was a common practice. When class got a bit boring, we’d pen a message or draw silly pictures for each other. Sometimes the method used for folding the note was more important than its contents.

My children are part of a generation that communicates in an entirely different way. It appears that even their old-fashioned pen and paper conversations are written in instant message format...

Here are some of Caleb and Alyssa’s recent Sacrament Meeting exchanges:


Natalie recently drew this picture for me:

She says it’s a picture of her listening to her iPod. (No, she does not have an iPod.)

How will a technologically-challenged mother like myself ever keep up with them?

10 comments:

Erin said...

Absolutely hilarious! My favorite is the "End Google Talk". But what I'm wondering is...did you actually save that note from childhood?

Camille said...

That's hilarious! You just might be in trouble keeping up with those kids.

Tara said...

Yes, that's an authentic orginal, Erin :) I have stacks of old notes and letters. The love letters from Jon are my favorites.

Granny said...

Google Talk...that is too funny!

I think I remember now why we used to call you our "little pack rat."

Shad and Krista McOmber said...

How so totally CUTE! I love that it is labeled "Google Talk"! Too funny.

And... Yup, in high school folding the note was the most important part. (That and the cute markers you used!!)

Erin said...

You obviously haven't moved enough. :) Round about your third time packing all your crap up, those kinds of things are the first to go!

KmCaCFamilyof5 said...

I remember folding letters... I had so many good ones too, wonder if I could remember them!

Google talk... did they make that up or is this a new kid thing that they do? Like M.A.S.H.

Chad said...

That is pretty funny! Takes you back a few decades!

Tammy said...

Too funny! That made my day. :) By the way, don't try to keep up on technology--we'll never be ahead. I keep asking Steven what he texts his friends about. He said, "Stuff that you talk about like 'How are you?'" Hello! What's a phone for?!? I'm WAY behind, obviously!

Jenn said...

Love it. Instant message format...too funny. It's crazy now a days. Did our parents think that when we were kids?