Thursday, May 22, 2008

Stories of My Life

About twice a year, I visit the Scholastic Book Warehouse Sale to take advantage of their great selection of books at 50% off the retail price. We've found books that have become some our favorite stories at the sale and though we certainly didn't need any more books, I couldn't resist going yesterday.

The warehouse is very large with aisle after aisle and rows upon rows of eye-catching titles. It usually takes me quite some time to meander through them all while resisting the urge to fill my cart.

We had scarcely started down the first aisle when I spotted my first must-have. It was titled "Ruthie and the (Not So) Teeny Tiny Lie." I didn't take time to read it word for word but a quick glance convinced me this might be just the book for our sweet girl who is known for her fibs (or whoppers).

I took a few more steps and found "Tiger Can't Sleep." I can't believe this, I thought. I keep finding books written specifically for my children. This one was perfect for our other sweet girl who can't ever seem to stop playing around at night. Getting her to sleep is a nightly fight. It was another must-have.

Natalie was having fun at the sale and wanted me to buy every girly, princess book she could find. I kept refusing her requests and when "Naughty Little Monkeys" caught my eye, convinced her that that was the one she wanted. After quickly flipping through the pages, I decided it too could be applied to the monkeys living at my house.

I came home with quite a stack of fun books which I would usually set aside and have the kids earn, one at a time, with good behavior. But I'd been in such a hurry after getting home from the sale that I didn't put them up and out of sight. I rushed from one thing to the next and when bedtime arrived, I was out at a meeting and the kids got into their new books while I was gone. Alyssa read each of the picture books to Natalie.

This morning I asked Natalie to bring me the books so that I could read them with her. She was so delighted to tell me that, "I'm in this story, cutting the paper." I still hadn't read the book myself and figured there must be a reference about a monkey cutting paper which is something she's definitely done a time or two.

I soon realized that this story is about 26 naughty monkeys, one for each letter of the alphabet. And sure enough, next to the "N" is a scissor-wielding monkey wearing a shirt with "Natalie" printed across the front.

We turned to this page and Nat exclaimed, "See, there I am!" Indeed.

New books are always a special treat but these books seemed to be pages right from the stories of my life. If only their delightful pictures and words could magically solve each of these life problems.

12 comments:

Ben and Carrie said...

I too find books that are word for word descriptions of Chloe! Some nights, we even omit the book name and insert hers, especially if she's been acting that particular way that day.

That is too funny about the Natalie monkey. It's been so fun having the girls take the ABC class- I've gotten to know Natalie so much better and she is so darling and sweet, and so darn funny too. I always tell her that she's funny and she always replies, "YOU'RE funny!"

And I LOVE books- we have plenty too, but you almost can't have TOO many good books, especially when they remind you of you're children!!

Granny said...

What great finds. I love the picture of Natty and "her monkey." She looks so proud of herself. Too cute!

Chad said...

Very cute! Nothing more fun than a new book!

Jen Childers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen Childers said...

That sounds like a fun place to get books! We have our yearly BOGOF sale coming up at the school, but no warehouses to chosse from.

When you started telling about the cutting monkey named Natalie, I thought you were going to say Natalie already took some scissors to your new book. I'm glad that wasn't the case! It looks like a really cute read!

Jen Childers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather said...

What a fun tradition! My kids love the book fair at school...they are always so excited to get a new book. That was too funny that the naughty N monkey was named Natalie! YOur kids are so cute!

Amy Jones said...

I love LOVE the scholastic sales. Some of our favorites have appeared like that! I also thought you were going to say she had already cut the book. Whew! At least that's a little bit of chaos you avoided, right? :)

jenny said...

What a funny coincidence. I always love finding books with my kids name in them. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen very often.

Those book sales are the best! We are in desperate need of some new ones for our shelves as well.

Erin said...

I just realized that I never commented on this. I think it's hilarious that you found books that so closely resemble your kids...with Natalie in it! Very cute.

Carrie said...

I would love to have a scholastic warehouse sale like that around here! I am always in need of new books for the kids, they read through them so fast! How adorable is Natalie!!

Lucy said...

I'd love a list of some of your favorite children's books. I have never heard of any of these, and believe me, we could use them around here too!

Cute picture of Natalie.