Monday, May 19, 2008

Attaboy

This weekend was all about Caleb and what a great, talented boy he is.

I knew Caleb was anticipating the mile run in P.E. last Friday. Our weather was quite warm and he wanted to be sure he wore shorts so that he wouldn't be too hot. He told me of his desire to better his previous record. When I was at the school that afternoon, the P.E. teacher approached me to tell me of Caleb's great achievement. He finished first in his class with a time of 6 minutes and 30 seconds. Now that's fast for a nine-year-old, or an any-year-old for that matter! His teacher said he set his pace from the beginning and never looked back. We wish he'd put this talent to use on the track team but he's decided the blast of the starting gun as well as the nerves that come from racing others are too uncomfortable for him.

Friday Night we went to Pack meeting where Caleb earned his Bear Rank. He really loves scouts and I just think there's something especially cute about seeing him and all the other cubs in uniform.



The theme of the meeting was all about collections. Caleb did a great job presenting his collection of football helmets.

The highlight of the weekend was watching Caleb perform in his school's presentation of Disney's Jungle Book. The show was so great! The kids just did a really amazing job. The show was really polished with some pretty complicated choreography. We were particularly taken by our little elephant. For years he was much too shy and intimidated to try out for the school show but, like so many other things in his life, he has overcome that fear and does a great job on stage. I'm so grateful that Caleb has the opportunity to participate in programs like this. (We'll try to post a bit of video later.)

He may have to hurdle a few more obstacles than the average child but he shows how successful he can be in doing anything any other child can do. We're sure proud of him.

15 comments:

Camille said...

Way to go Caleb! Those are all great accomplishments, I'm especially impressed with that mile, whoa!

Chad said...

Caleb you are awesome! I wish I could run that fast. I am proud of your Bear rank too. I love scouts like you! I bet you were a great elephant! Way to go bud! We sure love you!

Uncle Chad

Erin said...

Good job Caleb! I am so proud of all your accomplishments! I wish I could have been there to see your play.
Maybe next year you will decide to join the track team. I bet you would really like it!

The Munkies said...

congrats! i love hearing fabulous things about these wonderful kiddo's. yeah! i understand the racing thing...same reason we don't play indoor sports...to noisy

Stephanie said...

What a weekend Caleb! Mile, Bear and Play all in two days. Caleb is a great kid!

Jen Childers said...

Wow! That's too fast for me to keep up. Way to go on earning your Bear...that is so great! And you make a very cute elephant. I'm sure the play was so good. Looking forward to some video:)

Granny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Granny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Granny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Granny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jackie said...

Caleb did great in the play. I loved the elephant march. Good job on the mile run-you've got some fast legs!

Karen said...

Great news Caleb! We're proud of your achievements in school and in scouting.

Granny said...

Way to go Caleb. I am so glad I was there to see you get your bear and hear your presentation. I loved the play. You were the greatest elephant.

I am so proud of you.

jenny said...

Holy smokes that IS fast. Congrats to him in his running, scouts and acting. Way to go!

Lucy said...

I can't believe I never commented on this. Slacker aunt! He does look adorable and I'm so glad he's finding so many outlets to express his many talents. He's a great boy.