Monday, April 14, 2008

Spring Break

Our Spring Break trip was all about being reminded of those things for which we are most grateful. Here they are, in no particular order:

Education
Visiting BYU means reliving some of my fondest memories. We enjoyed the cheap bowling and yummy Creamery food, loaded up on new apparel and visited some favorite places on campus.
The new alumni building was especially enjoyable. If only there had been some action at the stadium, then my visit to my alma mater would've truly been complete.




The Gospel

Attending Conference was a highlight of the trip. Caleb was thrilled to see the prophet and listened quite well to the messages. Jon was excited to run into his mission president outside the conference center. We also enjoyed our stroll around Temple Square later in the week. Seth's baptism was a great occasion which reminded me of how blessed we are to have the gospel.



Siblings
Our own kids got lots of together time but Jon and I especially enjoyed seeing our siblings. (We missed you, Erin and Emily) Jen and Christopher hosted us the night before we left and even let Caleb ride in their van all the way to Utah as we caravanned with them. Chad and Amy were excellent hosts and we loved being able to stay with them for a few days. Caleb especially loved the basketball court that was just outside their house. They kept us well-fed and even took us to Brick Oven one night. Lucy and Jay put up with lots of people in their house and provided us several nice meals. Maureen and I were also able to sneak away for a pedicure. It's always nice to get a little pampering. Most of all, we just enjoyed visiting with each of them. If there's one thing I can do, it's talk. I really enjoyed all the conversation with the siblings. I wish I'd gotten a picture of each of them.



Friends
There's something special about being able to catch up with old friends. We even got to meet some friends from home for lunch at the Creamery.




Sara is one of my dearest friends from college. We used to get together for playdates when her daughter, Julia, and Alyssa were babies. They don't remember those days, of course, but they became fast friends again.



Cousins
I love the unique cousin bond. The kids can go months without seeing each other but when they get together they are the best of friends. Caleb couldn't stop the tears as he said good-bye. I know he had lots of noisy fun with all those boys but I'm quite sure it's more than that. They make him feel loved and good about himself, too.







Aunts and Uncles
My Aunt Shauna and Uncle John hosted us for a couple of nights. We sure enjoyed visiting with them. Shauna catered to Caleb's picky eating habits and they both played with the kids, making them feel welcome. Natalie wanted to call them Grandma and Grandpa but she eventually got their names right. Shauna shares my gift of gab so we spent several hours talking while John and Jon did a lot of listening.

Our kids also loved seeing their aunts and uncles and I enjoy being an aunt to all my nephews and nieces. They're all great kids.


Sports

A fun sporting event makes any vacation complete. The Jazz game was the perfect way to end our week. Caleb screamed until he was hoarse and was thrilled to watch his favorite team win.



Parents

We were able to eat dinner with my parents on our way through town. It was nice to see my mom up and around after having surgery on her thumb. One of the main reasons for our Utah trip was to be able to meet up Jon's parents who just returned from their mission. Natalie really turned on the charm with Grandma and we all enjoyed visiting with both of them.

Jon and I both had lots of fun looking up our parents in the old BYU yearbooks that they have in the new alumni center. We weren't ever able to find a picture of Jon's dad but we found several of his mom and several of both of my parents.



Family Time

This trip gave us lots of time to spend together as a family. Jon prefers to be the driver and since the car makes me so drowsy, I quite enjoy the passenger seat. It's the perfect match. There's no one else with whom I'd rather spend so many hours in the car. We all had our moments, Natalie had a few more than the rest of us, but overall, we really loved being together.

Home

I love coming home after being away. I love that feeling of pulling into the driveway and then stepping into my own familiar dwelling. Natalie got carsick about an hour away from home so we had a mess to clean up and Jon's truck had a dead battery but as I climbed into my very own bed last night, none of it mattered. It felt so good to be back where I belong.

18 comments:

Erin said...

Great pictures! You seemed to cram a lot into one week. It makes me very excited to go...too bad we couldn't have coordinated our trips!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a full, fun week. Lots of great pictures. Glad you made it back safe.

Erin said...

P.S. - I can't get over how much Karen looks like Emily in her yearbook pic!

Jen Childers said...

It was a fun week. I love your outlay of it all. I'm going to email the pics I took of us at Conference on Sunday...maybe you can add some of them. Have a great week!

Camille said...

We are glad you are home and it looks like your trip was a lot of fun! It seems like you were able to pack so much stuff into that week.. way to go!

Emily said...

What fun- I'm sad to have missed out.
We are excited for August.
Erin- kinda freaky huh! lol

Chad said...

We had such a wonderful time! We love having you in our home! I must admit, softy that I am, reading this post brought a few tears. We sure love you guys.

Stephanie said...

Glad you had a great time. It was fun spending an afternoon with you on your stomping grounds.

Lucy said...

I loved having you guys around last week! I only wish we lived closer together so it could happen more often. Thanks for all the talks and understanding:) Miss you!

Granny said...

Wonderful post! I love all the pictures. You really did fit a lot in in just one week.

Since you found numerous pics of me in the yearbooks, did you really have to post that one? Gotta love the helmet head-my only year at BYU with short hair.

Glad you had such a great trip with no mishaps!

The Munkies said...

i loved the pic of you and sarah...i can see why you had no time to visit us...maybe next time it will work out better for us! we miss you! hunter would love caleb, from what dave said they are a lot a like basketball, music, tall, skinny, basketball, and basketball. did i mention basketball?? :)

jenny said...

Sounds like a fun trip. And you guys covered a lot of territory and visits along the way. Welcome back!

Jackie said...

What a fun trip. Lots of time with family and friends. I love coming home to my own bed also!

Tammy said...

Sounds like you guys had as much fun as we did! I'm so jealous you got to go to BYU. Rachel got sick the day we were supposed to go, so Steve just took the boys. At least I got a sweatshirt out of the deal! I agree--It's great to be home!

Carrie said...

It was so great to see you! It had been WAY too long! I'm glad to hear you had such a great trip. You guys sure packed a lot into the week. I agree about coming home...nothing is nicer after a weeklong trip.

Heather said...

Looks like you had a great spring break! Glad to be visiting your blog again after loosing my links! Hope you are having a great day!

Heather said...

Looks like you had a great spring break! Glad to be visiting your blog again after loosing my links! Hope you are having a great day!

Sara said...

Tara, We had such a great time with you guys. I wish we could hang out more. It's always fun to chat and watch our kids play together. You are a great blogger! You inspire me to do better. Love ya lots!