Sunday, July 15, 2007

Called To Serve

I'm an emotional person. My feelings run deep. Until last Tuesday, however, I had never experienced an instantaneous sob. But that is exactly what happened when I heard the word Bishop escape the Stake President's mouth.

We knew our current bishop was moving to Japan and the talk of who would replace him was a popular topic of conversation among all our ward members. I did my own share of speculating but other than a few fleeting moments of unease, I wasn't worried that that replacement would be my husband. About two weeks ago, Jon got a message from the Stake Executive Secretary. We were out of town for the Fourth of July holiday and while we wondered at the possible reasons for his call, we convinced ourselves it probably had something to do with his current High Council calling. Jon sent him an email telling him we would return on Saturday. On Sunday evening, the phone rang. Our appointment with the Stake President was set for 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday. I could think of little else in those two days and while I wanted to end the suspense, I was afraid to find out what the Stake President wanted.

Jon and I had a few "what if" conversations and talked about the calling of bishop without saying the actual word, much like Voldemort is discussed in the Harry Potter books. It was the calling-that-must-not-be-named! I had convinced myself that the calling would be a counselor in the bishopric, though I tried to prepare myself for the possibility of you-know-what. As much as I wasn't ready to accept it, I suppose deep down inside we both already knew. Jon had even asked me if I would cry. "Oh no," I assured him. I told him I was sure I'd cry when we got home but I really thought I'd be able to keep my composure in front of the Stake President. Didn't happen. I did cry. Loudly. When I finally pulled my face out of my hands after hearing the call, I looked to Jon to see tears in his eyes and sweat on his face.

We spent an hour with our Stake President who gave us great deal of love, encouragement and counsel. We left his office, rounded the corner to a dark hallway, and embraced as we cried together. We knew this calling would change our lives. It is a massive responsibility and I felt unbelievably overwhelmed.


Jon left at 5:oo a.m. the next morning to accompany the youth of our stake on their Youth Conference Trek, where they reenacted the pioneer handcart journey. He had, as part of his High Council assignment, spent a great deal of time helping the committee prepare for this event. It was so hard to see him go, especially after getting our news just a few hours prior to his leaving. We didn't get any time to discuss this major event, which is really hard for someone like me who deals with emotions by talking.

I missed him terribly when he was gone and choked back the tears each time he called. I felt nauseous and nervous all week as I anticipated today's events. He arrived home about mid-day on Saturday. I ran to him and literally wet his shirt with my tears. This calling was turning me into an emotional wreck! The trek was an amazing experience for everyone involved. Jon loved it and while he wouldn't admit it himself, I had numerous people tell me that the help he provided was incredible!

Here he is after four days of not showering or shaving! What a handsome, rugged man!

Looking tough for the picture.

Yesterday and today were difficult for me. It's hard to describe the feelings. But the tears have stopped and the butterflies in my stomach are finally gone. Now that he has been sustained and set apart as the bishop of our ward, I am much more peaceful than I have been in days. I know he will be a good leader. He is such a great man and we are so blessed to have him as our husband and dad.

Our former bishop had planned to have a ward picture taken today. It was taken right after sacrament meeting while my cry-face was still fresh! Thankfully with this snapshot, you can't make out any faces!

Caleb took to Jon's office right away. He felt very comfortable in dad's new chair and with his two best friends standing over each shoulder like two counselors, I couldn't resist snapping this picture.

Jon and I were both so thankful for the outpouring of love and support we felt from our friends, family and other ward members. The hugs and sympathetic tears helped calm my heart. These next years will be busy and I'm sure we'll have some hard times. Were it not for our testimonies of the gospel of Jesus Christ, we would never agree to this assignment. But we do know that this gospel is true so we will go forward with faith.

10 comments:

jenny said...

Holy Cow, Jon Bishop??? That would scare the bejeebies out of me for sure. Knowing Jon and you for that matter he will be the BEST bishop ever. He is a great guy scruffy and all. It will be a challenging road, but I guess in the end you will be really blessed. Best of Luck!! Big hugs sent from us :)

Emily said...

I can't imagine the emotional roller coaster you guys have been on!
Jon will be a great bishop- he has all those great bishop qualities- warmth, charisma, funny and serious when he needs to be.
You guys will grow a lot I'm sure, and receive lots of blessings too.
Hugs from us too!

Zeke said...

Congradulations Jon and Tara. Jon will be a great bishop.

Lucy said...

I can only be encouraging because you will both grow so much from this experience. I don't think you need congratulations or sympathy although there will obviously be wonderful and totally sucky parts of the call. But the Lord knows your hearts and after the shock of hearing my 34 year- old brother is a bishop, I have realized how appropriate the calling is.

Your ward is lucky.

Erin said...

Glad to hear that you are feeling more peaceful. We know that Jon will be a great bishop and that this calling will bless your family.

We are sorry we couldn't make it...although with how Anna's mood was on Friday, it was for the best!

P.S. - I love the picture of Caleb and his "counselors"!

Jen Childers said...

What an emotional weekend indeed! Jon is total bishop material and will do such a good job! And you will have a lot of opportunities to love those "not so loveables":) I love the trek pictures! I can't wait to hear all about it.

Jackie said...

Trust me on this, it will get easier! We totally know what you are going through and everything will be fine. Jon will make a great bishop and your famly will be blessed!

Remeber we are here if you need a listening ear.

andrea said...

Wow Wow Wow! I was talking to Lucy on the phone today telling her how all the buzz in our ward is the speculation on who will be called to be bishop in a few weeks. She told me I had to read your blog. You did a great job conveying your thoughts. Your ward is lucky to have Jon as the bishop and you as his support at home. One of my good friends is the wife of a newly called young bishop and I've been through a lot of tears with her but the blessings to her family have made the sacrifices so worth it.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Bishop Hatch. Just trust in the Lord and follow the promptings of the spirit and you'll make it. If you ever need a friendly voice give me a call!

Jenn said...

We're not surprised by Jon's new calling. Jon will be a great bishop and having a bishop for a husband says a lot about you Tara! Don't forget that! What an amazing opportunity the Lord has placed before you!