Monday, July 20, 2015

Put Him in Coach, He's Ready to Play!


The day started with a rather quiet and reverent visit to Arlington National Cemetery.

Our first stop was the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.  The precision with which the sentinels "walk the mat" is mesmerizing.  They seem to glide over the walkway as they take exactly 21 steps with each pass and click their shoes at every turn.


The tomb is guarded 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.  At the changing of the guard ceremony, which happens every 30 minutes during summer months, a new solider is brought out to repeat the exact ritual.  It is considered one of the highest honors to serve in this capacity and very few soldiers successfully complete the rigorous requirements of earning the Tomb Guard Identification Badge.












Here are the Kennedy's graves, marked by an eternal flame:


The Arlington House, the house once owned by Robert E. Lee:


We stopped by the  Iwo Jima Marine Corps War Memorial before returning to hotel to drop off our rental car for the rest of the day.


Our hotel was about a quarter mile from a metro station.  We walked there and rode the metro train into DC to see the Air and Space Museum.  Natalie, who'd not been crazy about all of the museums we'd been visiting, was thrilled with this one.  The kids were interested in finding the Amelia Earhart plane that is featured in the movie, "Night of the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian."


Then Caleb, Alyssa and I walked across the mall to the Natural History Museum since we hadn't seen enough of it when we'd been there a couple of days prior.  Natalie and Jon took a museum break for a bit.


I thought the ban on selfie-sticks was hilarious:


 The Smithsonian museums really are remarkable and it simply amazes me that they are free!


After a quick stop at the Smithsonian Castle, we got on a metro train headed for Nationals Park.

If the day before had been my favorite day in DC, this evening held my favorite moment.

Though Natalie was not amused, the rest of us thought it was great that the team's nickname is the "Nats."  

N-A-T-S, let's go Nats!  We loved chanting this cheer--it was even posted on a permanent sign in the stadium--in Natalie's direction, which she found quite annoying.


I'll tell you what I thought was annoying: VERY long and inefficient lines.  I left the game in the second inning to go get food for my two older kids and me.  (Jon took care of himself and Natalie before the game started which proved to be a very wise decision.) By the time I had gotten what everyone wanted, it was the 7th inning!

They did have a gluten free grill, however, which I've never seen at a sporting venue before.  That was cool.  It had the shortest line.  But Lys also had her heart set on a Shake Shack shake.  That line was ridiculously long!  If it weren't for the fact that it was lightly raining and standing in line meant I had cover overhead, I probably wouldn't have agreed to wait in it.


In between lines I walked near the field to watch the presidents run.  So clever!  There's George, Abe, Tom and Teddy (Calvin was also just introduced to the crew):


It was fun to be in a new major league stadium, but by the time I got back to my seat and the rain had just stopped, I was adamant that this experience was just not comparing to my familiar Safeco.

Within moments of sitting down, there was a massive crack of the bat and thunderous roar of the hometown crowd rising to their feet.

Once I caught sight of the trajectory of the ball, I could swear it was soaring straight for my head.  Jon tells a different story.  He saw it coming directly toward him, two seats over.  My natural instincts kicked in: I ducked and covered my head with my hands!  Jon's natural instincts lead him to reach out his massive man hands and nab that ball bare-handed.

The crowd went wild!

Section 142 celebrated their new hero with high fives all around!

Once I realized I was still alive and my head in tact, I joined the celebration too.

And our family was displayed all over jumbotrons and national TV.

It was a big moment.  A surreal moment.  A hurry-up-and-post-this-on-Instagram moment!

My heart was still pounding when I took this picture with shaky hands:



But before I could post the above picture, I received a text from a friend who lives in Utah.  It said, "Um...I just saw you guys on TV!!!!!"  And she sent this picture she'd taken of her TV screen:


This game was the featured game on ESPN that night and my friend's husband had been watching it from Utah.  He first noticed the Y on Jon's hat and then noticed who we were.  He called to his wife to come and see who had just caught the home run ball.  She said she watched the footage and "started screaming and jumping up and down" along with us.

The celebration went on stadium-wide for quite some time.  The hitter, Clint Robinson, had just recently started emerging as the Nationals' new star.  His two-run home run put the Nationals in the lead.  The cheering continued until Robinson came out of the dugout for a curtain call tip of the hat. And the replay, with Jon's catch, was shown multiple times.

The strangers around us continued to congratulate Jon throughout the rest of the game and expressed concerns for his hand while passing around the ball, inspecting his new souvenir.  While he said it did sting when he caught it, Jon insisted his hand was totally fine.  Many of our newfound friends wanted a copy of the above picture, so I was texting it all around.

Here's the mlb.com footage of that exciting moment:



And the ESPN footage my friend videoed off of her TV:



They each show slightly different perspectives and are so fun to watch!

When I texted my sister to tell her we had just been on TV, she went online searching for the footage. She took this picture of her TV screen.  It's blurry, but shows the moment Jon caught the ball.  Look at Alyssa!  I was not the only one to duck and cover.  She's still holding her hands over her head!  It appears I was still awakening from my terrified shock and hadn't yet made it to my feet to join the party.  Natalie and Caleb on the other hand are elated!  I think this proves that that ball must've been coming towards Jon, yes, but on the side of Alyssa and me.  (Directly at my head!) Natalie and Caleb clearly never felt any danger.



Such an incredible moment, such a fun night.


It was topped off with with a patriotic fireworks display.


And we rode the metro back to our hotel flying higher than a kite.  

4 comments:

Camille said...

What an incredible moment!

Melissa said...

That is so awesome! My whole family just watched the videos; how fun!

Jen Childers said...

I still can't believe Jon caught a ball with his bare hands! So cool! That is definitely a memory that will last FOREVER! So cool! :)

Granny said...

Amazing!