Sunday, November 16, 2014

The Frame Builder

Who knew Alyssa was a woodworker?  Yeah, I didn't either.

In contemplating a project she could do for a Personal Progress project under the value of knowledge, she decided it might be fun to build a frame. I'm not sure where the idea came from, but when she shared it with her father, he was excited to learn how to do it with her.

I was really nervous about her using the power saw and suggested to Jon that he do that part for her.  He didn't listen to me and Alyssa came in house smugly wiggling her fingers in front of my face and stating in a sing-song voice, "Look Mom, I still have all of my fingers!"


The whole process took several days to complete.



Once the frame was finished, she decided she wanted to put a copy of the Family Proclamation inside and create a mat with family pictures to go around it.

She completed it just in time for Young Women in Excellence where she did a fantastic job presenting and displaying her project.

It was such a great learning experience that turned out to be a collaborative effort of a daughter and her parents.  Who knows, Lys and Jon just may decide to build more frames in the future.

We now have this lovely little gem hanging on the wall of our family room:


Well done, frame builder.

8 comments:

Granny said...

Nice job Lys! It turned out beautifully.

Unknown said...

Great job , Alyssa!! Looking forward to seeing it. G & G Hatch

Chad said...

Awesome work Lys!

Jen Childers said...

That turned out awesome! Way to go Alyssa!

Ben and Carrie said...

It looks so great! I am so impressed.

Erin said...

Wow! I'm still a little scared to use power saws so I'm more than a little impressed!

SuburbiaMom said...

Impressive!!!

Camille said...

Super Impressive! It turned out so nice and I bet it looks great on the wall!