Sunday, February 13, 2011

Bumbershoot

I didn't know that bumbershoot was another word for umbrella, did you? Thanks, Mom, for informing me. That would explain the hundred or so umbrellas that hung from the ceiling.

Yesterday, Alyssa competed in the Charity Choice Bumbershoot Invitational. With over 1500 athletes in 24 different sessions, it was by far the largest meet I'd ever attended.

My team competed on Friday. They did fairly well but with some big name competitors and super tough judges, I was a bit worried for Alyssa's session on Saturday. But I didn't tell her that.

She came out and did her thing. She placed 10th on vault, 5th on floor, 2nd on bars and 1st on beam! She ended up 3rd All-around. She did an amazing bar routine that actually ended up scoring the 2nd highest score of the whole session (58 total girls), regardless of age group. And the gymnast that scored the highest edged her out by a mere .025!

Grandma got this footage for us:
(Aside from the great acrobatics, I have two favorite moments in this short clip. First, I love the way the chalk dust flies as she grips the bars and second, her hard-to-impress Chinese coach actually claps MID routine! Yeah, that baby giant was THAT good!)



Way to go, Alyssa!

6 comments:

Chad said...

So awesome!! I saw it in person and I still had to watch the video 4 times!! Way to go Lys! Thanks for letting us come to the meet!

Granny said...

Terrific! Some Gymnast! Amazing!
Soooooo glad I was there.

Sarah said...

She is so good! Congrats on 3rd place and awesome bar routine!

Lucy said...

A big congrats to Alyssa! She looks so good!!

Camille said...

Way to go Alyssa! I had to watch that clip over and over. It's just amazing! All those hours at the gym sure do pay off.

Michelle said...

That is a GREAT bar routine!! especially that high bar, WOW!! Good job Alyssa!