Monday, January 31, 2011

Look Ma, No Gluten!

It's her favorite meal: noodles with clam sauce. And it's gluten-free!

The nurse called this morning and read the pathologist's report: "Findings consistent with celiac disease."

It's interesting because she originally called to tell me that the latest (and third) blood screening came back equivocal, or in other words, in the gray area. When I asked about the endoscopy results, she said she hadn't seen anything yet. But then after some searching...there they were with a celiac diagnosis. Equivocal blood screening but positive biopsies...so strange.

I am often asked what symptoms prompted doctors to look into a celiac diagnosis. She's short. That's it. Not a single other symptom.

So she's going gluten-free and we're going to watch her grow. And she's doing it with a smile!

5 comments:

Jen Childers said...

I'm impressed that you've already figured out how to make her favorite meal gluten free. I'm glad that you finally have some answers and that you've figured this out now so that she can stay healthy and continue doing the things she loves. We love her and support all you guys!

Chad said...

You go Lys! You will do great! Mom will cook well for you!

Erin said...

So strange! But I'm glad you guys are doing so well with it. I'll ask my friend for some of her favorite recipes.

I'll be anxious to see how much she grows!

Sarah said...

She is a trooper! And you are so great to already have transitioned her favorite dish into her new favorite dish! Love you all!

Lucy said...

I'm impressed too! Now we can start sharing recipes, yes?:)