Sunday, November 9, 2008

Same Song, Second Verse

Twenty-one years ago, on November 7th (my 13th birthday), I competed in a gymnastics meet. I won first place all-around in my age division. According to the newspaper clipping in my scrapbook, my winning title led my team to a third place finish. The winning team that day was a team called Northwest Aerials.

Yesterday, on November 8th (just two days after Alyssa's birthday), she competed in a gymnastics meet. She did very well and earned her highest all-around score of the season. Her performance earned her first place in the eight and under age division. Her title helped lead her team to a second place finish. And the first place team at yesterday's meet? Northwest Aerials.

What a thrill it was for us to see her on top of that podium! We got video clip of the awards ceremony and then posed for these shots after the meet was done.

The meet was really long and slow-moving, but it was definitely time well spent. Alyssa has an amazing ability to keep her focus which is why she's doing so well.

We stopped for dinner at Red Robin and Lys and I enjoyed matching birthday sundaes. On the way into the restaurant, Alyssa asked me what my old gymnastics warm-ups used to look like.

"A lot like yours, " I told her.

My gym had the very same colors. It's just a little crazy how similarly history can repeat itself. But I must admit, I'm having a lot of fun living it twice!

We decided quite some time ago that eight would be our minimum ear-piercing age. Alyssa could not wait and had been talking about it non-stop since her birthday. What better way to celebrate her great accomplishment than adding a little bling to her adorable face?

She hardly flinched, insisting that it didn't hurt at all. And I think she looks so cute!
We're so proud of this little girl!

13 comments:

Erin said...

Yay Lissy! Congratulations on your first win...Northwest Aerials must be a lucky spot!

Looks like the rest of your weekend was pretty fabulous too. Wish we could have been there.

Erin said...

Oh, P.S. - I've always thought it a little spooky how similar your gym warm-ups were!

Emily said...

Very cool...congrats! And so fun for you, Tara (if not eerie :) )
And cute bling!

Jen Childers said...

Congatulations Alyssa! What a fun post. Alyssa definitely gets that ability from you, although Jonathan does have some pretty sweet gymnastics moves! Sounds like a very fun weekend. Happy Birthday to you, by the way. Hope it was a good one!

Chad said...

Way to go Alyssa! We are very proud of you! I also you look beautiful with pierced ears. And yes the similarity in warm-ups is a bit eerie.

Carrie said...

So fun! Her birthday turned out so cute, I can't believe all the hard work you put into the parties. And they are always a smashing success! LOVED the Halloween posts, you guys looked awesome...Jon's mullet was classic! And your little ghost - Peanuts Gang picture was adorable!

P.S. I agree 100% with your trick-or-treating observations!

Lucy said...

Congratulations to a future famous gymnast. I love how she is walking in your footsteps. You are an excellent role model for any girl, but how sweet that she happens to be your daughter.

Granny said...

What a great weekend! Lys, I am so glad I was able to be there for your 1st, First Place AA! It is so exciting to watch you compete.

The similarities are a bit eerie, but, oh so much fun!

Heather said...

T! You must be so very proud!!! Way to go Alyssa! I love how diverse Caleb is with the teams he will support! Tell him we appreciate it! Also, we really need BYU to beat Utah!

Stephanie said...

Congratulations Alyssa, that is awesome!

Camille said...

Wow - I really need to come see some video clips. Maybe we could watch them after the next BYU game!!??

jenny said...

How exciting. I love the similarity in stories between you and Alyssa. So fun!

Jackie said...

That is so fun that you and Alyssa share the same passion for gymnastics. Congrats!