Friday, March 28, 2008

End of An Era

It started in August of 2002. I had been running solo for quite some time but it was then that a new friend, Stephanie, started joining me on my regular route. She had decided to run a local 5K, had seen me out running in the morning, and asked if I wanted to run the race with her. I agreed and we started running together each morning.

A lot of life has happened since then. There have been rainy days, sunshine, power outages, wind, ice, trials and joys but the 6 am morning run has always remained a constant. We very rarely took a sick day and not even pregnancy could stop us. We were two determined girls with unwavering dependability, which is what made the routine work for so many years. I figure we’ve covered about 4,000 miles together.

A lot of conversation and bonding occurs over 4,000 miles. We’ve covered topics like family, education, church callings and entertainment. We’ve used that time to plan outings, get-togethers and play dates because our children can’t ever seem to get enough of each other. Though many things have changed over the years, this small daily routine never has. Until now.

Over the years people have occasionally asked, “Are you guys still running every morning?” The question would always sound a bit ridiculous to me. Of course we were still running. Why would we stop? I now have an answer to that question. Stephanie will soon be much farther than a half-mile away. She’ll be moving out of state when her house sells but with her husband leaving to start his new job, she won’t be able to leave the kids each morning to meet me on the usual street corner. Thus, we have met this running era’s end.

I’ll keep running. I may even have a new running friend (no pressure, Camille:)) but it’s still hard to see this end.

10 comments:

Jen Childers said...

That is pretty darn impressive! Good luck to your new mornings without a running partner.

Erin said...

You're way more dedicated than me. My running partner quit and subsequently so did I. Then again, running in Delaware is a challenge anyway...as you know! At least New York has sidewalks!!!

Chad said...

That is really hard. Hopefully there will be other friends to fill the void.

jenny said...

I have to ditto those comments. That is seriously inspiring Tara! Sorry to hear your buddy/good friend will be moving. The last three months going solo has been tough. And there are definitely mornings where I wish I could stay in bed.

Perhaps you can make special trips to run in other races??

Tammy said...

The second I heard Evans' were moving, I thought of you and of you losing your running partner and best friend (other than Jon, of course!) Good luck finding your new partner!

Stephanie said...

It is SO hard to see this era end. I know I will never have a more dedicated running partner than you! I will never forget the morning we were running in the snow and ice and all the cars where turning around and driving home and one stopped and yelled at us saying we were the most die hard runners he has ever seen! And what about the car that honked at us every day (who was that guy anyway).. There won't be a run or a 5k where I don't think of you. Thanks for meeting me every morning in those early hours when my mind was often asleep and I looked pretty awful. Unforgetable times! And I think we can say we that over 5 years and 8 months we never ran out of things to talk about!

Granny said...

I've read this post a few times now, and each time tears have come to my eyes. I totally admire your dedication and friendship.

Lucy said...

This post fills me with pangs. I hate that you aren't going anywhere and your whole world is changing. It makes life seem fragile.

I bet you'll do grand on your own, but I hope you find a great buddy.

Jackie said...

It's sad that it has ended but great memories for sure!

Kate said...

Hi! I've been admiring your fun blog on occasion ever since I received your Christmas card! I'm horrible at responding! You have a darling family and it's fun to "catch up" with you. I'd forgotten about our running days in Provo...
Glad you're doing so well.
Katie