Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The Real Deal

Alyssa couldn't wait for her first real meet. She said she wasn't nervous, just really excited.

We had to get up early on Saturday morning so that we would arrive at the gym, which was 45 minutes away, by 8:30 a.m. We also didn't want to be the only parents not showing our support of the team by wearing the team colors, so we put aside all belief that blue is the only appropriate color to be worn on a Saturday during football season and managed to dress ourselves in RED!

Caleb and Natalie were real troopers, Jon did his share of moaning and complaining, Alyssa had the time of her life and I thought it was just plain fun. It's definitely a long day but it really was a thrill for me to watch our little girl out there.


There were nine girls in Alyssa's age division and she placed fourth. She was blissfully unaware of any of her scores and later asked, "Mom, did I get any deductions?" She honestly did not see a single score. She thought it was truly amazing that her ribbon was her favorite color, pink! I'm glad that at this young age she is able to enjoy her favorite sport without any pressure of the competition.

9 comments:

Erin said...

Yea Alyssa! Great job on your very first meet!

Jen Childers said...

So cool. Great job Alyssa...and a pink ribbon to start your collection. Tell your mom to get a big trophy case, your gonna need it!:)

Jackie said...

Good job on your first meet Alyssa.

Tara I'm glad that you had so much fun watching and Jon-good luck-I think you are going to have many, many more of these. Brian sympathizes with you. He had a hard time with Rylie's dance recital and that was a one time deal.

Granny said...

Way to go Alyssa! We are so proud of you.

I'm with Tara, I just loved all of my spectator hours in the gym. I don't think I ever learned to breathe during beam routines though.

Keep it up little girl! I can't wait to see you compete.

Chad said...

Way to go Alyssa! We are so proud of you! Keep up the good work.

Emily said...

Very cool! Sounds like an awesome start to your gymnastics career!

Stephanie said...

What a great first meet Alyssa! I love the picture with the girls on the stand. It's so cute!

jenny said...

Doug was just mentioning that you are probably eating this gymnastics stuff up (much like I do with dance) I am laughing about the grumbling--tough love eh?

I am glad she got her favorite color that's what matter right :)

Lucy said...

Very cool! Alyssa is obviously a natural gymnast. You guys are going to have so much fun doing this together in the coming years.

Great job!